Saturday, February 24, 2007

Pierced for Our Transgressions...

Pierced for Our Transgressions is the title of a new book by a friend of mine, a guy I know vaguely and a guy I've never heard of.

It is about the doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement - the idea that Jesus died to take the punishment that we deserve so that we can be right with God. Some people have attacked the doctrine in recent years, but (to my mind) it's pretty obviously in the Bible, although of course so are other ways of explaining what happened the cross. The book strongly explains and defends the doctrine, and has had lots of excellent reviews. I haven't read it, but it's probably well worth reading and I certainly intend to read it if I ever have to debate with anyone who disagrees with penal substitution.

No comments: