Friday, August 04, 2006

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I'm a bit behind on writing book reviews, so I'd better write one quickly. On the other hand, some of you are slow readers, so I'd better type at a slightly more leisurely pace...

What a great book this is! It's a first person narrative from the point of view of a child with Asperger's, who spends a good fraction of the book trying to investigate how the neighbour's dog died and ends up discovering all kinds of stuff.

It's done very well of course and you really end up understanding and sympathising with the kid in a lot of ways. Well, I did anyway. It's also quite amusing which details he picks to explain in any given situation, or the random maths puzzles that he just puts into chapters. They're fun.

One of the things that was interesting to my twisted and self-obsessed mind was the ways that how he thought resonated a lot with how I think (or in some cases used to think). For example, I remember stopping trusting people completely on the basis of one lie. I do the whole noticing ridiculous amounts of detail thing, but I've learnt to filter and forget most of what isn't useful. But I still find it really tiring being a passenger in a car partly because of the detail thing - it's much easier if I close my eyes. Oh yeah, and he's good at maths and stuff like that too...

When I was little, people used to say that looking at the Sun could make you go blind. I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye, and didn't go blind. So I assumed it didn't apply to me. I used to stare at the Sun a fair bit, and damaged my eyesight as a result. I still think it's the fault of the people who told me that it could make me go blind - they should have said that looking at the Sun damages your eyes, then I'd have paid attention.

Post a Comment