Saturday, January 06, 2007

Ordination and Physics Teaching

I used to be a physics teacher. I'm now training for ordination in the Church of England. People's reaction is often surprise because they think the two are very different. Here are some similarities....

  • Both are about conveying truth, even Truth. St Augustine (I think it was him anyway) said "All truth is God's truth". That's quite profound and I might well blog on that soon (along with more creation / evolution stuff).
  • Both involve a lot of interaction with and responsibility for people. That was actually one of the key reasons I went into physics teaching in the first place.
  • A lot of the thinking skills involved are the same - the way I think about them anyway. There's lots of putting different ideas together needed in both, and lots of explaining one thing by saying it's a bit like something else.
  • Both physics and theology often end up taking something really beautiful, interesting and cool and making it seem utterly dull and uninteresting. I aim not to do that.
Post a Comment