Sunday, April 17, 2011

Evangelism and Nominal Christians

I was reading a short article the other day by Dan Clark, author of "I'm a Christian, aren't I?", and it got me thinking.

90%+ of the training I've had in evangelism has been assuming that the people I'm speaking to don't already think they are Christians. 90% of those I meet who don't attend church regularly already think they are Christians but don't show much sign of it in their lives - they're nominal.

Of course, it's not for me to question the reality or otherwise of their faith. But at the same time, it is clear that just claiming to be a Christian isn't enough, and I as a minister should be helping them know, love and serve Jesus better.

So...

Anyone read Dan Clark's book?
Anyone know other good resources for specifically helping nominal Christians know God better?

2 comments:

Sam Parkinson said...

Absolutely agree. It's a big challenge to bring the gospel to nominal Christians without insulting them.
I've found that Tim Keller's Prodigal God has helped me considerably, and I often retell the parable when talking to nominal Christians and it is suitable. It does seem to help, and many people are definitely made to stop and think by it. Of course, you need quite a good conversation to start telling stories, but nominal Christians are often glad to listen to something Jesus said.

John said...

The other thing that often works well with nominal Christians is having a good Christian community and inviting them in, and letting consistent preaching of the gospel do its work.

But that needs friendships, and as a minister, most of my contacts are more one-offs...